Thursday 18 July 2013

Chocolate Hedgehog Slice


Hedgehog Slice is one of those things that takes me straight back to childhood. It was an after school treat if friends came home to play, a party favourite and often something mum would make for the yearly bake sale days in primary school. Remember when parents would bake something for you to take in the next day to sell for 20-50c a slice for a school fundraiser or charity?  Not sure if they still do  bake sales at schools today - I imagine that too many associated 'risks' have ruined all the fun. Anyway, mum still has the same recipe written on a tatty old piece of paper and I have a photocopy of the tatty thing - I don't want to rewrite it as I have so many memories attached to the original.

1 x 250g packet of plain sweet biscuits (Arrowroot, Marie, Scotch Finger), broken into small pieces
½ cup desiccated coconut
175g butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 eggs, lightly beaten

Icing
2 cups icing sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
50g butter, softened
1 tablespoon milk

Lightly grease a 28 x 18cm slice tray (the size really depends on how thick you want your slice). Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edge of tray.

Combine biscuits and coconut in a large bowl.

Place butter, sugar, cocoa in a small saucepan and stir over heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat to cool slightly. Add the egg and whisk well to combine. Pour chocolate mixture into dry ingredients and mix well.  Press mixture into the prepared ban using the back of a spoon. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.

To make the icing, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Spread icing over chilled slice and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.

Cut into pieces and serve. Store chilled in an airtight container.

SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Ah man, why did I have to see this now? I can't eat for the next 2 months, and you dangle the most delicious piece of chocolate heaven in front of me :(

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a chocoholic girl! So ... yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keeping this recipe for October when I start my maternity leave! Bit too hot for chocolate at the moment in the UK. Your photos are really lovely by the way and massive congrats on the cupcakes and cashmere link love - woo hoo! Sherrie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look and sound delicious and remind me of Tiffin bars. Thanks for the recipe!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the lovely comments x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, stumbled across your beautiful blog in the hunt for a good hedgehog recipe. I love both the slice and your work. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to make this today. When you said it was the original from your childhood. I said that's it. Haven't had a good one since my own, so I am very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So simple to follow and a yummy outcome thanks =)

    ReplyDelete

© A Little Slice Of. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig